Thursday, February 10, 2011

Yeah!

First real test run done.
Yesterday evening before going to bed I set up the system with temp setting 85C and full magazine of smoke pucks. Oh, and one brisket.



Unfortunately last night was a bit cold. System could not get temperature higher than 70C and due to a software bug (what was I thinking? Probaply nothing, as usual) feeder spent five hours worth of pucks in about two hours before getting jammed due to too low stepper motor current limiter setting.

Anyhow... Brisket turned out tender, moist and delicious:


This morning I changed the setting to cold smoking, put piece of salmon there, loaded magazine, set the temperature to 7C, started the system and slipped and slided to work.


Soon (relatively soon, in a day or two) to be cold smoked salmon:


After about 2hrs, I got message from home saying there is no more smoke!
Went home during lunchbreak and checked the system.

Again I built something with too tight tolerances. Apparently about 2% of smoke pucks are 3mm thicker than "normal" pucks. That caused puck to jam in feeding system.
Fixed by checking all remaining pucks and discarding too fat ones.
Since then system has been running flawlessly about seven hours. Two more hours and salmon will move from smoker to fridge overnight and from there to tomorrows lunch.